25/04/2013

Split Grip Handspring Issues

LadyMynx Pole Club member, Carla, sent me this great blog post from liveituppolefitness.com about Split Grip Handspring issues.


Why I Never Do the Split Grip Handspring (Or why I Owe the TG a Great Big Apology)

I had been doing handspring and cartwheel mounts for a little over 3 months when I first noticed it: nagging feeling at my right wrist that extended to the elbow through my ulnar side forearm. It wasn’t pain, not at all, it just felt like it was…there. I was aware of my right wrist and forearm when I was poling, at my computer, in the shower, cooking, cleaning and most of all, when I first woke up int he morning. Overuse, I was told, and not stretching out the area enough after a pole practice. So reluctantly, I spaced out my training sessions and made sure to stretch out the area really well after every session.  The problem never went away, but since it didn’t hurt either, I got used to it.


Over the course of the next few months, I learned the twisted grip and true grip version of the handspring. I mostly used the split grip and the twisted grip as these two were much more versatile for getting into and out of different moves. Then one day, after a particularly grueling practice, I felt a pain on the outer side of my right wrist.  I iced the area and let it rest for a few days. At the next practice, the pain came back. Again, I iced it and let it rest until the pain subsided. But again, the pain came back the next time I was on the pole and lasted several days.  Since I was about to spend 2 weeks visiting family in Hong Kong, I took the opportunity to rest my wrists.
CLICK HERE to read the rest of the blog post!

Thanks for the article, Carla!


No comments:

Post a Comment