19/02/2013

Get on Top of Things

Image Source:  Unknown

As a woman who suffers from an intolerance to gluten and dairy products it is always a constant struggle to find snacks and quick meal fixes that I can eat on the go.  I am a lady who is always on the go and I tend to find it incredibly difficult and frustrating to not be able to just stop anywhere and pick up something quick and be good to go.

For me, picking a restaurant is a chore.  Many times I end up settling for something that my body can't properly digest simply because it is a quick and easy option.  This usually seems worth it in the first five minutes because I have filled my belly but shortly after my body takes a turn for the worst. 

Over the past year and a half I have come up with a few snacks that I can eat without setting my body into a whirlwind of unhappiness that I'd like to share with you:

- Fresh fruits chopped up (I am a sucker for sliced apples with peanut butter)
- Hard boiled eggs (Not for everyone I know, but for me they are quick to make and I can toss them in a zip lock bag and eat them on the go)
- Fresh sliced veggies (I am not a fan of plain veggies with no dip so I tend to make up a little dressing with olive oil and vinegar with salt and pepper and just lightly drizzle it on my veggies)
- Rice crackers (Plain or with a little hummus is delicious too!)
- And of course...water!!  (Drink it!!  Its good for you, makes you and your body feel better!)

The hardest part for me is to plan ahead and this is usually where I get into trouble.  If I have healthy food on me - I eat it.  But the second I get too busy and need a quick food fix I get stuck.  Because of my diet restrictions - I have to be careful where I go to pick up a meal because most restaurants do not carry foods that I can eat.  It's a pain in the butt but once you get into a habit of planning your meals for the week it definitely takes that stress off of your plate.

For me, I try to spend a few hours on Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon where I can cook up a few things and even bag some fresh veggies and fruits so during the work week mornings I can just grab a pre-packed bag of healthy treats!  How do you guys plan for healthy snacks during the week? 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment