13/03/2013

Flaxseed Wrap Recipe

A few days ago we hosted a houseful of people for the Toronto/Pittsburgh hockey game, and it was a pizza and beer kind of night. Luckily I have a health nut sister-in-law Rochelle who is always finding amazing ways to create healthy options, and she made the healthy ladies in the group home-made pizzas. The base was a flaxseed wrap that she got the recipe from the “Wheat Belly Cookbook” and it was really good! The next day I decided to purchase the cookbook, and it’s really interesting.
Personally no matter how “healthy” I seem to be eating, I still wake up feeling so bloated most days and I don’t really see any progress.  The Wheat Belly book has some great information about why going “wheat free” is best, and so I decided – why not give this a try. So I started wheat free a few days ago, and it’s remarkably been pretty easy, and boy oh boy do I feel better in the mornings when I wake up. Much less bloating! Anyways, I’ve tried every healthy eating food plan there is, so I’m not going to scream at the top of my lungs that this is THE answer to everyone’s dreams, BUT I can share personal experiences as I test it out myself.

This morning I woke up and made some more wraps to have on hand for lunches etc. and it was so easy. The recipe is below for those that want to try it:

Flaxseed Wraps (From the Wheat Belly Cookbook by William Davis, MD)(Recipe makes 1 wrap)
3 tbsp ground flaxseed
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp paprika
Pinch of sea salt or celery salt
1 tbsp coconut oil melted, plus more for greasing the pie plate
1 tbsp water
1 egg

Mix together all dry ingredients. Stir in melted coconut oil. Beat in water and egg until well blended.
Grease a microwavable pie plate with coconut oil. Pour batter and spread evenly. Microwave on high for 2-3 min. Let cool. To remove lift edges with a spatula.

Per serving: 328 cal; 11g protein; 9 g carbohydrates; 29 g total fat; 14 g saturated fat; 7 g fiber; 413 mg sodium.

No comments:

Post a Comment